Thursday, March 20, 2008

Hot Cross Buns


So Margot asked me the other day, "What are hot cross buns?". They've been singing about them for weeks but I imagine it never occurred to the nursery teachers to tell a few non-British kids what they are. I actually considered whipping up a batch but thought better of it as all the bakeries are full of them this time of year. What is it with the British and their fruity bread for the holidays?

All the singing was in preparation for the Easter show at nursery. The kids marched in formation into the room, singing "Easter Parade" and wearing their home-made Easter bonnets. They were seated in two rows facing the audience to perform about 10 songs. My favorite was "Tulips from Amsterdam"; they switched it to "Tulips from Hampstead Heath." For weeks, Margot would wander around the housing singing:

When it's Spring again I'll bring again
Tulips from Hampstead Heath
With a heart thats true I'll give to you
Tulips from Hampstead Heath


It was adorable, of course.

In the space between the performers and the audience, Owen found his nitch. He sat quietly for about 10 seconds. As soon as he realized we were at a performance, he wanted to be part of it. He stole some maracas - seriously, from where? And ran back and forth in front of the kids, shaking his moneymaker. Of course, all the kids couldn't take their eyes off of him. He was a complete distraction, although having the time of his life.

I was trying to take photos, catch Owen and give Margot the proper attention she demands. "You will be clapping for me, right Mommy?" Andy couldn't get away from work so he missed all the action. A friend of mine videotaped the performance. She told me Owen took over most of her footage. And me, running back and forth, trying to catch him and contain the damage. I didn't do very well.

Margot was a little peeved but got over it. We went home and ate hot cross buns. She thought they were okay but "too fruity."

No comments: